Book Review : 1984

I finally finished reading this book. I think I have been reading it for two months and today I finally read the last 150 pages.

Let me start by saying that this is not a book for everybody. Of course, everyone can read it, but not everyone can understand it. You need to have studied a certain amount of modern history to understand the historical references and the political changes and systems.

That being said, this book is a classic. It tell the story of a dystopian world, divided into three big sections, so to say, which are always at war with one another. The story is set in London, part of Oceania, where the main character, Winston Smith, works for the outer (political) party. Until here, everything seems ordinary. But the way the world works is completely messed up, according to our ideals : the inner party controls everything, as in every movement a person makes, every facial expression, everything they learn since birth. They modify history and turn rebel individuals into brainless puppets, who end up agreeing with the party, after various forms of physical and psychological torture.

Winston Smith is, in fact, one of these rebels who becomes an ally of the Brotherhood (an association of rebels) and tries to defy the system, if not by facts, by thoughts. Most of the book, about 80% of it, explains the background of the way the world works and why it works that way. The remaining 20% is concentrated towards the end and it was, for me, the most frustrating and angering part, since everything in it is against my morals and modern thinking. It goes as far as denying that the force of gravity exists or that our Solar System is heliocentric, saying that it is the party who controls everything. It felt as if I was a spectator who could not do anything about the situation, which is how Winston himself felt. I do think that George Orwell was very smart by doing that and it makes you, after reading the book, want to take a stand against oppression of thought. It shows you what the world should never be like, but could be, since there are many power-hungry people out there.

All in all, this book was very eye opening and I only realised that towards the end. It may seem boring in certain passages, but it all adds up.

Score : 8/10

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Book Review : 1984

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s