The past couple of weeks have been tough and putting it all on here requires a tremendous amount of effort on my part. I am not going to bother you with the details of my heartbreak or the how, why and by who, but I am here to narrate how I decided to react.
Getting over a heartbreak is never easy, but throughout the years I have learnt how to move on faster; it is not something I do consciously, my mind just seems to remove immediate memories in order to let me heal as fast as possible. That does not mean that the memories will not resurface from time to time, but at least the immediate response helped me breathe more easily.
When you go back to being alone the focus and attention you were giving the other person has to go somewhere else; I decided to push it towards myself. I noticed that I had somehow lost my glamorous and unique self which I always had going on and only found it when I went out on dates. I lost my smile and sense of humour due to all of the pain and suffering. I needed to find all of that and get it back.
Focusing back on myself meant following a couple of steps:
- Drink more water: this is necessary for glowing skin and overall great health. This is the number one step in any good routine;
- Focus on skincare: having a good base to lay makeup on is always a key factor;
- Read more: this is a good life tip in general. You can never read too much and you can never be too educated, reading everyday, wether for recreational or educational reasons, should be a priority;
- Go out: the worst thing that you can do is isolate yourself from the outside world and wallow is self pity. Going out forces you to wear makeup (if you want to), get pretty and be sociable, at least in my case, so it is the best thing you can do;
- Be open: do not close your heart to other people just because of a bad experience, or because of a thousand ones. No matter what, the bravest thing to do is start clean and open, with no prejudice, but with the knowledge of the past.
I suppose this is all. I am obviously still working on all of this, but the important thing is starting. I hope you enjoyed this post and thank you for reading.
My fitness journey started more than three years ago, when I first stepped foot in a very tiny gym, where I learned the basics of how gym machinery works. Needless to say, when you are a newbie you get strong pretty quickly and you feel very optimistic, only then to discover that the more you workout, the harder it is to hit certain numbers.
Working out has been part of my life for these past years and I must say I love lifting weights and feeling the burn in my muscles, but all of that is worthless unless you have two other things : a healthy mind and a healthy diet.
I have been stuck with my weight and my fitness journey for the past year due to stress and to a not-nutritional enough diet. The stress part has been the most obvious one, since this past school year has been the most intense one so far. Now that I am enjoying summer break, that stress is gone.
The poor dieting has been less obvious, because I do not generally eat bad. I do not buy chips and sweets at the store and I only eat at fast foods once a month, if not less. Enlightenment came when I watched a video Ally Stone made, that you can watch here. In that video she talks about two different types of eating plans, but the one thing that struck me the most was a piece of advice she gave : use MyFitnessPal (an app) to log in what you eat on a daily basis and see where that puts you nutritionally, before making any changes. I did just that and I have noticed that I was eating double that amount of fat that I should have and I never reached my protein and carbs goals.
Therefore, I decided to start counting macros and eat more mindfully : she explains everything perfectly in her video and she also has a tumblr account, where she answers many questions and stresses the importance of mental health.
I have started listening to my body and to what it needs and I hope to see some results in the future.
Thank you for reading.
I am finally done with this school year and I could not be happier. This last year has been a drag and it has turned out to be more difficult than expected. Could I go back, I would probably study a little more certain subjects, since I know I will need to be better at them in the future, but all in all I did good. The final grades will be displayed at my school in a couple of weeks, I believe, or less, and we will see then.
Anyways, today is my first day of my three-month summer break and it is raining. I do not really mind it, since it is the perfect weather for reading, and I do have quite a lot to read this summer. Let’s get started with my list of goals, which may differ a bit from the picture above, but it was way too nice and posh not to use :
- Read : and by this I mean read a lot. I have four books to read this summer as part of my school programme and I would also like to read some of the books I own. I tend to be quite inconsistent with my reading during the school year, since the work load is massive, but I have no excuses this summer, not even having a job (being talentless and all of that);
- Train harder : when I go to the gym, I do not exercise, I train, which I think puts things into perspective. I tend to think about how athletes train and eat for their professional needs and I want to do the same. I am, of course, not an athlete, but I want to train as hard as I can and as hard as my body allows it : no more half-assing exercises and no more settling for an average weight when I know I could lift heavier;
- Eat better : I have recently started to follow a nutrition plan which consists in eating healthily following a charge/discharge diet. This basically means that I switch between high-carb days and low-carb ones and that is supposed to wake up my metabolism. That being said, I also have to eat very healthily and drink plenty water and I have started to notice some differences, even if they are very small;
- Blog better : this basically means that I need to be more consistent and more focused on this blog, although I already am. I do post every Wednesday and Sunday, but sometimes, because of life getting in the way, I skip a day and that makes me feel extremely annoyed; it is time to change that.
- Relax : this is a very hard thing to accomplish for me, since I do not know how to relax. Instead of just laying in bed, I would do anything to keep me on my feet, even if that means listening to music while walking around the house. I only associate my bed with sleeping, so even when I read I have to be seated on a chair. I need to take things more lightly and stop focusing so much on the bad aspects of life. I need to be a bit more stoic;
- Curate my social media : as you may know, I have both Instagram and Tumblr accounts, which I am quite active on. I also have a Twitter account, but I have never really loved it as much, although I do tweet sometimes. Despite being quite consistent, I feel like I need to curate them more, which means finding my own style and giving my pages a theme. I think I am quite close to reaching this goal on Instagram, but not quite on Tumblr, so that is something I have to work on;
- Visit Rome more often : I have made it my summer mission to go to Rome at least once a week or once every two weeks so I can visit all the places I have never visited and all the museums and churches I have never entered. I am obsessed with art and history, and since I probably will not be here next year, I want to take advantage of my surroundings and breathe in as much Roman art and history I can.
I am pretty sure this is about it, as far as big goals are concerned. I hope you liked reading this and make sure you stay tuned for my book reviews and posts about Rome, which will be present in these summer months. Thank you.